Personal tools
You are here: Home Is a State ID Required? What Kind of ID Do I Need to Get a Job?

What Type of ID Do I Need to Get a Job?

If you are hired for a job, your employer needs proof of:

  • Who you are
  • That you can work legally in the United States

Your employer must fill out an immigration form called an “I-9”  to list what kinds of proof the employer reviewed.  To see a copy of the form and the instructions, click here. This form lists the documents the employer needs to see. 

You may be able to get a job without a state ID if you have certain other papers. This can be helpful if you can’t get a state ID because you don’t have proof of where you live. To see a booklet with pictures of many of these documents, click here.

Papers that prove who you are AND that you can work

  • U.S. Passport
  • Green Card or Form I-551
  • Foreign passport or visa that contains temporary I-551 stamp
  • Employment Authorization Document with photograph (form I-766)

Papers that prove who you are:

  • Drivers license or state ID card
  • Government or school ID with name and other identifying information
  • Military ID card or records
  • Voter registration card
  • Native American Tribal Papers
  • Canadian drivers license

Persons under 18 may also use:

  • School record or report card.
  • Clinic, doctor, or hospital record
  • Day care or nursery record

Papers that prove that you are allowed to work:

  • Social Security Card
  • Official or certified birth certificate
  • Certificate of Birth Abroad
  • Native American tribal document
  • U.S. Citizen ID Card (Form I-197)
  • Employment authorization form issued by Dept of Homeland Security
Document Actions